Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sitting Pretty Using Heat Moldable

In October I posted about my iPad holder.  The pattern is "Sitting Pretty" by Brenda of 'Among Brenda's Quilts'.  The firm stabilizer that makes it start up is an interesting one to work with.  There are 2 brands I have worked with:
 
 

Both are similar.  You heat them with an iron or hair dryer to soften.  Then you are able to mold them into different shapes for bowls, boxes or whatever you imagination can conceive.  For 'Sitting Pretty' you are not molding the boardlike pieces but are using the strong stiffness to support the iPad in open positions.  I used the 'inn-spire plus' which is fusible on both sides because that is what I had at the time. 
Even though the products are firm they are easy enough to sew through with pieceing or quilting thread.  You can have a hostess present candy dish stitched, molded and ready to take in about half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment