Sunday, December 4, 2011

I Love Books

All kinds of books.  When I was an elementary teacher I spent most of my years as a teacher-librarian.  I marvelled that I got paid and a budget to go and buy books for all ages in all subject areas.  I spent hours reading to children.  So would you be surprised to know I have about as many books as some guild libraries?  Now that we have a quilt shop I put all I learned about building a collection of library books into building a collection of fabric to suit a wide variety of quilters.  I wish we could have one of every quilt book but there wouldn't be room for fabric, notions and patterns.
Today I want to tell you about 2 books that I think are great reference tools to help you learn about choosing colours and designing quilts.
"A Fiber Artist's Guide to Color and Design" by Heather Thomas for Landauer Publishing
         Landauer has been putting out a series of books on the basics and beyond which have hardcovers but spiral bound inside.  This means the book lies flat as you are using it in your sewing room.  I love the way Heather has laid out the sections with clear language and great pictures.  She shows you all about colour with great quilts to show how each illustrates the use.  Then she goes into the elements and principles of design.  Finally there are practical workshops to let you experiment. 



'Adventures In Design" by Joen Wolfren for C&T Publishing
        This would be your next step in developing skills to apply to quilt making.  I will never get to this level but by reading the book and thinking how you might do the exercises has to help.  You get a deeper understanding of the quilters who create the works of art on display at major quilt shows, seen online or enjoyed in print. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment