Saturday, December 10, 2011

Children's Book Fabric

Quilters tour quilt shops looking for fabric.  Shop owners choose from thousands and thousands of swatches to build a selection of fabric for their store.  It stands to reason each shop has a different selection based on the owners' preference and how she/he sees the world.  Personally, I cannot work in pastels or little prints.  I try to order some for the store but with limited success.  If you visit The Marsh Store you will see this when looking at baby fabrics.  I look at the lines of beautiful baby fabrics but can't make a decision so go to the brights and feel at home. 
Having spent most of my elementary teaching career in the school library means I can decide on fabrics that are book or game related.  I am so happy quilt fabric manufacturers are finding and printing work by popular authors and illustrators on fabric.  What a great way to connect a child's environment to traditional books and get her/him hooked on reading.  You still have time to make all your favourite little ones a pillowcase from bookish fabric.  Here are some to choose from:

Eric Carle- The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Grouchy Ladybug
Eric Hill-    Spot the dog books, popular with younger ones

Noddy- from the British series

Veggie Tales- also on television

Dr Seuss- Cat In the Hat, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

Berenstain Bears- charm squares and layer cakes with bolts due in February 

Thomas the Train-   I'll be making pillowcases to wrap some Christmas gifts but don't tell...

I best get off and sewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment