Saturday, December 14, 2013

Diamond Rect Tool by Deb Tucker

I always wanted to make a 'Storm At Sea' quilt in blue and white.  But I don't like templates and like to sew big and trim to size (see post about pineapple log cabins too).  Thank you to all the quilters who are thinking of me and designing tools to make it possible!

Deb Tucker of Studio 180 keeps designing tools to make it possible for me to fulfill my quilting dreams.  This year at Quilt Market in Houston, I was thrilled to see her newest tool. 



You need to cut the centre diamond accurately so the clear instructions and diagrams helped make it possible.  You need to sew an accurate 1/4" seam when adding the small side triangles but that works out after a couple of tries.  Then you trim the triangles using the tool so you have perfect seam allowances which makes perfect points.

I tried a 'Storm At Sea' block.  The Diamond Rects made the sides pieces work well.  I used her Square2 ruler for the square in a square and came up with this:


This is a corner square.  There is another one in the diagonally opposite corner.  Between comes all the other colours of the colour wheel.  I designed it using EQ6 so will show you if and when the quilt is pieced.

No comments:

Post a Comment