Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Who Thought It Was A Good Idea?

I know I am not the only one who thought giving a quilt item would be a good idea.  I am sure, also, that I am not the only one who will be binding in the car on the way to a family gathering on Thursday.  This is Canada and we live in the lee of the Great Lakes, particularly Lake Huron.  If the fall has been warm, the lake is not frozen over and any wind coming across can pick up moisture and drop it as snow over our area.  Long term planning is dependent on the weather and which way the wind is blowing. 

Good news!  Christmas Day is Thursday and the weather should be good for travelling.  We decided on Sunday, the day before yesterday, that the weather would allow us to travel to Hamilton to spend the day with Tim's sister and her family. 

A quilted gift doesn't really take all that long to make if it is placemats or a doll quilt.  An experienced quilter should be able to get a couple of gifts done fairly quickly.  Right?

I started yesterday on some placemats for my sister-in-law's mother-in-law because placemats you make mean "I was thinking of you but didn't go shopping and choose something that would make you feel guilty in not having a gift to return the favour but show you I am glad to be sharing this special day with you."  Right? 

Tuesday 10 am progress report:


If I quilt and bind 2 at a time, I can see how many to wrap Christmas morning.

On Sunday, at a Christmas dinner with Tim's cousins, Tim asked his sister if the great nephews would like some vintage toys he has in his collection.  She said they would.  But what about the great nieces, I thought.  I volunteered to make a couple of doll quilts.  It wouldn't take long to whip up a couple.  Right?

Tuesday 10 am progress report:


There is a second doll quilt underneath.  If I get the borders on before going out I could quilt them tonight. 

The one good idea I am going with is that placemats and doll quilts will be well used, well washed and well loved.  That means I should sew the binding on the back and bring it to the front for topstitching.  That will make them more durable and save me a whole whack of time instead of binding by hand in the car on the way.  Right?

My friend Janet sent me this image of a Procrastinator's Clock today:

I have been seen by others as an optimist.  Today I know all will be ready on time and, if not, it will be ready when it is needed.  All will work out as it should, one way or another.

Wishing you speedy projects and wonderful time with family, friends and others you care to spend time with. 

Update 8 pm

Placemats- no progress, I have tomorrow

Two doll quilts, bound by machine and ready for a washing. 

Flannel backs on both.  I used Moda candy from the 'Miss Kate' collection for the patchwork along with Kona Snow and other Moda prints by Bonnie and Camille for the borders and binding. 
Now, I can go upstairs and have some supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment