Sunday, December 7, 2014

Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool

I love log cabin quilts.  I love making them, using and seeing how others make them.  I love the traditional log cabin blocks and courthouse step blocks.  I have made a Colorado Star log cabin, once and never again.  I do not enjoy paper piecing.  I do not do well with complicated piecing in shapes with angles that do not make a square.
So I never imagined I could make pineapple log cabin quilt blocks.  This year I have made 2!!  One I made in the spring with Lynette Anderson fabrics.  I was asked to demonstrate the tool at a guild meeting so made the quilt with the demo blocks.



Last month I was asked to teach how to use the tool at a different guild so I made a second quilt with Lynette's 'Starry Night' Christmas fabric line.


Both are made with the Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool.  The centre starts with a 2 1/2" square.  Logs are cut a minimum of 1 5/8" wide and long enough to cover the side of the log before.  After a round of logs is added they are trimmed to the required length and width with the tool.  There are some tricks to making accurate blocks but it is much easier than templates or paper piecing. 
I see more pineapples in my future!







No comments:

Post a Comment